The status of the previously announced Silent Hills game has been in question over the weekend, with speculation the project has been cancelled.
Silent Hills was originally planned to be a collaborative effort between legendary developer Hideo Kojima and director Guillermo Del Toro, with the actor Norman Reedus playing the lead character.
Speculation regarding the status of Silent Hills began when Konami issued a statement that the P.T (Playable Teaser) demo of Silent Hills would be removed from the PlayStation Store on April 29. But since then more evidence has come to light that Silent Hills is in a lot more trouble than first thought.
A source close to Guillermo Del Toro told IGN that the collaboration between Kojima and himself “is not gonna happen”. This follows a statement Del Toro issued during the San Francisco International Film Festival, which was posted online by a fan in attendance. The quote reads, “It’s not gonna happen and that breaks my greasy heart”. Though this doesn’t directly state that Silent Hills itself is cancelled, it does seem to confirm the previous collaboration will no longer occur.
The status of Silent Hills took a further hit when actor Norman Reedus claimed on Twitter that the entire project was now axed. Following this statement Konami responded to Gamespot regarding the status of Norman Reedus and the Silent Hills project. Konami stated, “our contract with Reedus has expired,” which leaves Silent Hills without its lead actor, and without the Kojima/Del Toro collaboration.
Regarding the Silent Hills project itself, Konami told Gamespot: “We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series.” This statement doesn’t confirm or deny if Silent Hills is still in production, but Analog Addiction will update you as soon as more information comes to light.
After a busy weekend of will they or won’t they, it seems Silent Hills may never see the light of day, or if it does, the original vision showcased in the P.T demo may be drastically changed.
These rumours and concerns regarding Silent Hills began in March, when it was revealed Hideo Kojima is preparing to leave Konami once work on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is completed.